In September, 2019, after two years of intensive work together with project leading partner Center for Environmental Policy and partners from Vytautas Magnus University Agriculture Academy (VDUŽŪA) (Lithuania) and Institute of Agricultural Resources and Economics(AREI) (Latvia), we finished implementation of the project “Optimal catch crop solutions to reduce pollution in the transboundary Venta and Lielupe river basins” (LLI-49 CATCH POLLUTION) which was supported by the Interreg V-A Latvia-Lithuania Cross Border cooperation programme 2014-2020.
The main objective of the project was to investigate catch crop potentials to reduce agricultural pollution in the transboundary Venta and Lielupe RBDs, extend the existing knowledge about catch crops and quantify their potential environmental effects and benefits, support farmers in decision making, and initiate a dialog between farmers, experts and stakeholders about future developments of agri-environmental measures in Latvia and Lithuania.
To facilitate a wider application of catch crops, project experts prepared recommendations for catch crop support and guidance on the required implementation actions. The decision support tool was elaborated to help farmers in finding catch crop options best suiting to the needs of their farm.
We are happy to share the project results.
- Decision support tool to select optimal catch crop schemes/Atbalsta rīks optimālai uztvērējaugu audzēšanai (LT)
- ATBALSTA RĪKS OPTIMĀLAI UZTVĒRĒJAUGU AUDZĒŠANAI (LV)
- Ecological status of Venta and Lielupe RBD water bodies and pollution reduction goals
- Agricultural practices in Venta and Lielupe RBDs
- Catch crops and their growing potentials
- Environmental effects of catch crops
- Cost and benefit analysis of catch crop application in Venta and Lielupe RBDs
- Joint concept document regarding application of catch-crop solutions to reduce agricultural pollution in the transboundary Venta and Lielupe river basins (ENG/LV)